Sunday, March 13, 2011

Party Nerd Edition - Mardi Gras Dinner

I love parties!  Both attending and throwing them.  I especially love an occasion that calls for a fun theme party and getting costumed.

Recently, we bought our first proper dining room table.  Finally feeling like grownups, we decided to have our first official dinner party and invited friends over for a Mardi Gras dinner.  I found a few really great recipes, got some ideas from Sandra Lee, and threw the rest together myself.  We had a great night with our friends and the dinner was a success!  I've included the menu and some photos, but will be happy to email any recipes if anyone is interested.


Mardi Gras Dinner Menu

Muffaletta and Veggaletta Bites
Hurricane Punch
Garlic Bread
Tri-colored Roasted Vegetables
Creole Shrimp and Grits
Mardi Gras Slaw
Cajun Chicken Wings and Dirty Rice
King Cake


Yours truly with my co-host and husband, Adam

The dinner table



Tri-colored Roasted Vegetables

Making the mirepoix for the shrimp (celery, onions, and carrots).  In Louisiana, the vegetable base is referred to as the "Holy Trinity" and substitutes the carrots for bell pepper.  I already had peppers throughout the meal, so I stuck to the original trio for the shrimp dish.

Dinner is served!

Cajun shrimp and grits

King cake for dessert

Our friends getting in on the mask fun!


Laissez les bontemps rouler!  

No comments:

Post a Comment